Wednesday, December 9, 2009

kids and the japanese maple


kids and the japanese maple, originally uploaded by hobbitsmama.

Kids have been sick .. yes, again. L was just getting over her pneumonia when they both caught a cold and e had an awful asthma attack that kept us up all night and almost sent us to the ER again. They are still pretty stuffy and miserable so we skipped science class, mystic nature center and bushy hill this week. Sigh. Since it was warmish, we decided to head to Harkness for a walk. The kids really wanted to see the butterfly garden which was interesting to see .. so different than the last time we were there that the kids did not think it was the same place at first. But they recognized their "bus" bench. They played under the gorgeous trees while I stalked the white-throated sparrows in the hedgerow. (I think I have always wanted a chance to use hedgerow and I am feeling very British now. :) I did not get a great shot of the sparrows but I did have one fly right next to my head. We had more luck on the march trail. We met another birder photographer. He was quite chatty and that was fun. We compared notes. He saw an American Oystercatcher over the summer. I told him about the Yellowlegs and Northern Harrier. We tried to get good shots of the Red-breasted Mergansers and Buffleheads. I also caught sight of a female Hooded Merganser but she took off around the corner. On our way home, we drove a little further down to see the huge great-blue heron and another bufflehead. Then we got a close up of a hawk right next to the road. I am still not sure if it is a red-tail or not. Whatever it was, it was very patient while I photographed it. Gorgeous.

No comments: